What do I need to tell an engineer so the transformer can be designed correctly?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I am working with a few electrical engineers to help me design a special type of transformer.

What information do I need to provide them so the transformer can be designed correctly?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would start with input (primary) voltage, output (secondary) voltage and output (secondary current).

Other considerations might be size, weight, and mounting method. The list of requirements goes on and on. Maybe we could be more helpful if you told us what this was for.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Input is a 12V square wave. Resonant transformer, Audio frequencies in the range of 5kHz-15kHz. Output is 20kVDC-30kVDC. The transformer is used to charge a capacitor at a constant voltage and also uses a diode to prevent cap discharge. Current is limited as small as possible, and lags the voltage (as close to 90 degrees as possible). I also know the core is an EI made from electrical steel laminations built up to .75" THK.

The transformer has 3 secondary coils, and 1 primary. It's not a typical transformer from what I've seen, that's why I've decided to seek the help of a few engineers.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The diode is for rectification. The capacitor and diode may be external to the transformer, rather than part of the structure.

Sounds like a challenge for the engineer. This may set you back a few bucks.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
The capacitor is external. The diode is also external but placed between two of the secondary coils (since there are 3) to keep the polarity the same. The transformer is in a way 2 LC circuits, Or rather two inductors connected to the same capacitor, that are pulsed at opposite times with a 50% duty cycle, so the voltage applied to the cap is constant.

It gets a little tricky. I wonder how much an engineer would charge me?
I allready know what the wire sizes and types are, what the core is made from, and have pictures and dimensions of the origonal. I just need someone to put the peices together and get them exact.

I also need the engineer to explain a few things to me and use math to figure out what the inductance should be. Did I mention the transformer has to be able to operate in a dead short condition for extended periods of time> Yeah it get a little complicated.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Uh, the way the coils are wound, not a diode, preserves polarity in transformer windings.

The way you explain this, it begins to sound like old Stan Meyer's VIC (seems like Bob Boyce had something similar). I do beg your pardon if I am mistaken, but 1,000,000 engineers paid $1,000,000 each can't get that to work. Stan lied about everything - he was a scam artist. That's why none of the stuff based on his patent ever works - it can't.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
That's what it is. Meiyers V1C. I actutally know people who have built them and got them to work correctly, but their coils burned up. I think it's because they didn't have the secondary center tapped to ground but I'm not sure.

What I mean about the polarity reversing, is that since the secondary has 3 coils, some of which are inductors, when the field collapses the polarity switches.

I just want to prove to myself that it either can or can't be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I might suggest that something that works correctly does not burn up (unless it's a match).

Good luck with the project, though. Do recall that Meyer's body of work was based on a scam.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I am working with a few electrical engineers to help me design a special type of transformer.

What information do I need to provide them so the transformer can be designed correctly?
If you are working with a few electrical engineers, surely they can tell you what information they need to design a transformer. If they can't, they are not the right engineers for the job.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
To steveb -

You might find that going to http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm and entering 4,936,961 will be interesting. That is the number of Stan Meiyer's more-or-less original scheme to hydrolyze water at rates not obtainable by the usual processes.

Don't worry when your eyes cross - the stuff is pure bafflegab.

Last edited by a moderator: