All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Half bridge inverter

Hi,

I'm trying to build a filter to eliminate harmonics generated by non linear loads. The operation is quite simple. It uses a force commutated inverter to inject negative harmonics current into the power line.

The inverter consists of three half bridge operating on a per phase basis. I've attached a diagram for a better understanding.

Here is what is done:
1) I sense the load current,
2) extract harmonics content,
3) invert it, the signal is used as reference for the control system
4) generate gating signals for switches of the inverter.
5) inject harmonic current

The inverter is a voltage source inverter which uses a dc supply and a dc link capacitor split at midpoint.

The control circuit works out fine. Problem arises with the inverter. It seems that the capacitor tends to discharge into the dc supply. Now the supply can only accept unidirectional current; u can imagine the reaction; both current and voltage behaves 'strangely'.

As a remedy, I've tried to use a small resistance (100ohm) in series with the capacitors. It works when i used a dc input of 15V. But at 75V (the required dc for the system), it does not work.

I must mention that up to now, I've only tested only a half bridge and not the whole system.

The fact is that as long as i'm unable to maintain a stable dc voltage, i cannot obtain any reliable harmonics current to inject.

Could anyone suggest a solution to this problem? I've tried using diode but it had no effect.

Hope it does not sound too confusing.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: doc Half bridge.doc (64.0 KB, 314 views)
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried diodes between the supply and the caps?
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Hi,

Yes I did try using diodes but it didn't change anything. What baffles me is that with 15V I am able to maintain constant supply using the 100ohm resistance while with 75V (three power supply in series) it does not work? Shouldn't the internal resistance of battery be larger at 75V?

By the way, the capacitor value is 220uF each.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for semiconductor circuit competencies
Worksheet Basic AC-DC power supplies
Worksheet Mixed-frequency signals
Textbook Harmonics in polyphase power systems : Polyphase Ac Circuits
Textbook Gas discharge tubes : Thyristors
Textbook Other waveshapes : Mixed-frequency Ac Signals
Textbook Biasing techniques : Bipolar Junction Transistors