All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive Forum Index All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive
These forums contain an archive of usenet posts relating to electronics. These usenet posts are a great resource. Click the 'search' link to search for a topic, or browse through the posts.

Back To: please note - you cannot post on these forums. this is a usenet archive, new posts are not permitted. please visit our forums to create a new post
   SearchSearch
how to generate a 1hz clock

   All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive Forum Index -> sci.electronics.basics

Author Message
Yaron
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: how to generate a 1hz clock

I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.
Back to top
Costas Vlachos
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how to generate a 1hz clock

"Yaron" <fire_wall4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Quote:
I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.

You can use a 32.768 kHz crystal oscillator, and then divide that frequency
using a 15-bit binary counter. The crystal's frequency value is a power of
2, so the division will be perfect and you'll end up with an accurate and
precise 1 Hz square wave. The crystal is cheap and easy to find, as it is
commonly used in digital watches.

Or, you could use a small microcontroller (with a crystal oscillator) and
generate the pulse with code. This could well be the easiest solution (only
one IC required), depending on how familiar you are with MCUs.

Check this link for more info:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page11.htm#counter.gif

HTH

Costas
Back to top
Anthony Fremont
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: how to generate a 1hz clock

"Yaron" <fire_wall4@yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.

It all depends upon your definition of precise. You need to state some
limits like accuracy, cost, size, power requirements etc. If you need
an extremely "precise" 1hz clock, use a GPS receiver. If "wall clock"
accuracy is your goal use a crystal based oscillator or maybe hack a
cheap quartz clock module. If you're cooking eggs, use a RC based
circuit like 555 timer. ;-)

michael
Back to top
Don Bruder
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: how to generate a 1hz clock

In article <3f8bebce$1@news.012.net.il>, "Yaron" <fire_wall4@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Quote:
I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.

Use a 74HCU04, two caps, two resistors, and a known-value crystal.
(Somebdy please refresh my memory on the name for this type of
oscillator? I think it starts with "F", but I'm not sure.)

Feed the output to circuitry that behaves as a "divide by <crystal
frequency> counter", and take your 1 Hz signal off of the output from
that. You may want to feed it to a schmidtt trigger to be sure it's nice
and clean before actually putting it to work, but I'd consider that an
optional improvement. Presto. Crystal accurate 1 Hz oscillator :)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net <--- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how to generate a 1hz clock

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:29:30 +0200, "Yaron" <fire_wall4@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Quote:
I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.

Buy a cheap mechanical-dial quartz clock and tap into the stepper
motor drive pulses.

John
Back to top
Tom Woodrow
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: how to generate a 1hz clock

http://www.elmelectronics.com/ebench.html

Tom Woodrow
www.dacworks.com

Yaron wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.

Back to top
Bill Bowden
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: how to generate a 1hz clock

"Yaron" <fire_wall4@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3f8bebce$1@news.012.net.il>...
Quote:
I just wanted to know how
can I generate a precise 1 hertz clock pulse.

There is digital clock circuit with a 1 Hz generator at :

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/dclock.htm

It uses a 32768 Hz watch crystal and a 4020, 14 stage counter
to get 2 Hz. The 2 hertz signal is divided by 2 to get a
1 Hz square wave out of the 4013 flip flop.

There is also another clock circuit that divides the 60 Hz line
frequency down to 1 Hz. but you need almost as many parts either
way.

-Bill
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
   All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive Forum Index -> sci.electronics.basics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum