All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive Forum Index All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive
These forums contain an archive of usenet posts relating to electronics. These usenet posts are a great resource. Click the 'search' link to search for a topic, or browse through the posts.

Back To: please note - you cannot post on these forums. this is a usenet archive, new posts are not permitted. please visit our forums to create a new post
   SearchSearch
Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

   All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive Forum Index -> sci.electronics.basics

Author Message
isw
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

In article <m2vmv3h3bfoe7ergavefi2qtjua7j481su@4ax.com>,
John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

Quote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:15:15 -0700, "Green Xenon [Radium]"
glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

Hi:

Is it possible to have a purely-analog chip that stores audio without
using any form of sampling?

If an audio cassette does not require sampling then why would an analog
audio chip?

Thanks,

Radium

There used to be charge-transfer "bucket brigade" analog delay chips,
but they still sampled the audio, although they didn't quantize it.

Unless they could store fractions of electrons, then yes, they did.

Isaac
Back to top
isw
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

In article <ftf6kt$ftu$1@serv1.iunet.it>, "LAB" <no@mail.com> wrote:

Quote:
An analog Hard Disk? Smile

But of course, that is *precisely* how the original Ampex video disk
slo-mo worked.

Isaac
Back to top
Mr.T
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelkesti@nospam.net> wrote in message
Quote:
Ah but he never used the word "persistant", nor mention size contraints.

You're absolutely correct. I was, however, willing to read those into the
intended question. Do you think I was incorrect.

Who can tell?
But actually it's incorrect to reply to a troll at all.

Quote:
A "chip" can mean anything, including potato ones :-)

That's cute, but I doubt that potato chips were intended to be included
as part of the question.

Analog delay lines do exist.

Yes, they do. Do you believe that they embody the storage that was
intended
in the question?

When talking about Radiums "questions" who can say?

Quote:
The answer, it seems, is that physics just doesn't provide a mechanism
that can be used to provide direct storage of analog audio on solid
state
media.

Nor did Radium use the words "solid state media" :-)

You are, again, absolutely correct. It seems that the OP's questions
were not asked as precisely as you would like. Perhaps you would do
well to ignore such questions rather than exposing your inability to
understand their rather obvious intended meaning.

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

MrT.
Back to top
Mr.T
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com> wrote in message
Quote:
Imagine yourself sitting in your car at a red traffic light. Then imagine
thinking about youself sitting at this red traffic light. Then imagine
thinking about thinking about yourself at this red light. Then imagine
thinking about thinking about thinking about sitting at the red light.
And
so on.

Then you rudely awaken when the cars behind start honking because the light
has already turned green :-)

MrT.
Back to top
isw
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

In article <660lrpF2h6plmU1@mid.individual.net>,
"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xp7rt.net> wrote:

Quote:
"LAB" wrote ...
An analog Hard Disk? :-)

Hardly the "chip" that Radium was asking about.

But if you could get the head to move linearly
across the platter (vs. in concentric "cylinders"
as we use for data storage) then it would be the
magnetic equivalent of a spiral phonograph disk.

The old original Ampex HS-100 disc recorder
was the video equivalent of that concept. It was
the original gadget that allowed "instant replay"
for sports shows, etc.

Nearly. The Ampex unit didn't use a spiral track. It had "cylinders"
each of which held one frame of videeo. There were four magnetic heads
on arms that advanced in sequence -- 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

Since each track (frame) could be played repeatedly, or even in reverse,
slow-motion was easy.

It really was a brilliant piece of work, at the time.

Isaac
Back to top
Michael R. Kesti
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Mr.T" wrote:

<snip>

Quote:
I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time Smile

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

--
| two, one and one make one."
Back to top
Mr.T
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelkesti@nospam.net> wrote in message
Quote:
"Mr.T" wrote:

snip

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

Hey, I'm not dissing him, read what I wrote in the original context. Not to
mention you seem to have missed the smiley altogether.
Have a look at other peoples use of language if you want to see real venom
on Usenet.

MrT.
Back to top
Gareth Magennis
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote in message
Quote:

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com> wrote in message
Imagine yourself sitting in your car at a red traffic light. Then
imagine
thinking about youself sitting at this red traffic light. Then imagine
thinking about thinking about yourself at this red light. Then imagine
thinking about thinking about thinking about sitting at the red light.
And
so on.

Then you rudely awaken when the cars behind start honking because the
light
has already turned green :-)

MrT.

Not necessarily, as the brain may be so busy with its maximum 4 or 5 things
it is dealing with, that the honking is not noticed. This happens a lot -
when you have been deep in thought, or working something out in your head,
you may be able to recall that you weren't seeing anything at all. Untill
someone clicks their fingers in front of your face and the visual processing
starts up again.

Gareth.
Back to top
Gareth Magennis
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com> wrote in message
Quote:

[...]

Hey, that's probably why listening to music is so much better with your eyes
closed - not processing visual information means there is one more aspect of
the music you can concentrate on.

Gareth.
Back to top
Michael R. Kesti
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

"Mr.T" wrote:

Quote:
"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelkesti@nospam.net> wrote in message
"Mr.T" wrote:

snip

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

Hey, I'm not dissing him, read what I wrote in the original context. Not to
mention you seem to have missed the smiley altogether.

I saw your smiley. It might not be quite the get-out-of-jail-free card
you seem to feel it is.

Quote:
Have a look at other peoples use of language if you want to see real venom
on Usenet.

Do you actually intend to say that you should be excused because others
are worse?

--
| two, one and one make one."
Back to top
Wingle
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:53:58 -0700, in sci.electronics.basics,
"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelkesti@nospam.net> bloviated:

Quote:
"Mr.T" wrote:

"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelkesti@nospam.net> wrote in message
"Mr.T" wrote:

snip

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

Hey, I'm not dissing him, read what I wrote in the original context. Not to
mention you seem to have missed the smiley altogether.

I saw your smiley. It might not be quite the get-out-of-jail-free card
you seem to feel it is.

Have a look at other peoples use of language if you want to see real venom
on Usenet.

Do you actually intend to say that you should be excused because others
are worse?

Why not, that is almost the complete justification for a lot of
current US policy.
Back to top
Michael R. Kesti
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

Quote:

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelkesti@nospam.net> wrote in message
"Mr.T" wrote:

snip

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

Hey, I'm not dissing him, read what I wrote in the original context. Not to
mention you seem to have missed the smiley altogether.

I saw your smiley. It might not be quite the get-out-of-jail-free card
you seem to feel it is.

Have a look at other peoples use of language if you want to see real venom
on Usenet.

Do you actually intend to say that you should be excused because others
are worse?

Why not, that is almost the complete justification for a lot of
current US policy.

http://tinyurl.com/6j62xv

or

http://www.theunion.com/article/20080223/OPINION_LETTERS/847720679&SearchID=73314125888496

--
| two, one and one make one."
Back to top
John Larkin
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

Quote:

glucegen1@excite.com> wrote:

Hi:

Is it possible to have a purely-analog chip that stores audio without
using any form of sampling?

If an audio cassette does not require sampling then why would an analog
audio chip?

Thanks,

Radium

There used to be charge-transfer "bucket brigade" analog delay chips,
but they still sampled the audio, although they didn't quantize it.

Unless they could store fractions of electrons, then yes, they did.

Isaac

Oh, don't get technical with me. I hate it when people get technical.

(But, technically, one could easily quantize an audio waveform to less
than e-)

John
Back to top
Steven Sullivan
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

In rec.audio.tech Michael R. Kesti <michaelkesti@nospam.net> wrote:
Quote:
"Mr.T" wrote:

snip

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

Maybe if you were more familiar with 'this person's posting history, you'd
know why.

That history would show you that Mr. Radium is either ill or a troll.
Occasionally interesting discussion arises during the course of
correcting his silly preconceptions, but that's not enough reason to
encourage him.

___
-S
maybe they wanna rock.
maybe they need to rock.
Maybe it's for the money? But That's none of our business..our business as fans is to rock
with them.
Back to top
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a purely-analog chip possible without sampling?

On Apr 9, 7:15 am, "Michael R. Kesti" <michaelke...@nospam.net> wrote:
Quote:
"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelke...@nospam.net> bloviated:

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Michael R. Kesti" <michaelke...@nospam.net> wrote in message
> [...]
"Mr.T" wrote:

snip

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the misapprehension that I was being
serious, or even more deluded into thinking Radium is!
Hopefully you will know better next time :-)

You seem willing to put considerable effort into dissing this person.
Have you considered what this says about you?

Hey, I'm not dissing him, read what I wrote in the original context. Not to
mention you seem to have missed the smiley altogether.

I saw your smiley. It might not be quite the get-out-of-jail-free card
you seem to feel it is.

Have a look at other peoples use of language if you want to see real venom
on Usenet.

Do you actually intend to say that you should be excused because others
are worse?

Why not, that is almost the complete justification for a lot of
current US policy.

http://tinyurl.com/6j62xv

or

http://www.theunion.com/article/20080223/OPINION_LETTERS/847720679&Se...

--
| two, one and one make one."

She could have been using her dad's car, which had that sticker on it.

Cigarette in one hand, cell phone in the other? How did she manage to
steer?

Michael
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
   All About Circuits - Newsgroup Archive Forum Index -> sci.electronics.basics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:
You can post new topics in this forum