BX cable

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think BX is a historical name which doesn't have any strict meaning for the letters, the correct name for such wire is Type AC.

After a little research I found the following information:

Basic armored cable was developed in the early 1900s by Harry Greenfield and Gus Johnson, who called their product BX cable. It has become a generic term for all armored cable.

So although this doesn't strictly answer your question, I hope it does shed a little light on the matter.

Per Jim Dollins, VP of Product Development for AFC Cable Systems, the term "BX" stands for "Product "B" - Experimental."

Apparently, back when the product was first developed, the first manufacturer of this product had only one product at the time: "Product "A"". So when they developed this product they didn't know what to call it. Somebody suggested "Product "B" with the suffix "X" added as the product was at that time experimental.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Type MC Manufacturer@Apr 7 2006, 02:14 PM
Per Jim Dollins, VP of Product Development for AFC Cable Systems, the term "BX" stands for "Product "B" - Experimental."

Apparently, back when the product was first developed, the first manufacturer of this product had only one product at the time: "Product "A"". So when they developed this product they didn't know what to call it. Somebody suggested "Product "B" with the suffix "X" added as the product was at that time experimental.
[post=15944]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks Type MC Manufacturer, we finally got a full answer nearly 2 years after the original attempts!

Dave

BillA

Joined Jun 22, 2008
Another 2+ years later... Was BX ever made with aluminum conductors? I've been reading about all the bad things with aluminum wiring while it was used but have yet to see a reference to BX / AC cable being used then that was aluminum.

Thanks,
Bill